Saturday, March 28, 2015

Outlander vs. The Taker

Outlander: Men in kilts
Readers, I'd like your opinion on this.

Are you familiar with Diana Gabaldon's series, Outlander? Historical fiction that goes deep into Scottish, British and American history, a romance that defies time, with a fantasy element running through it. I'm a fan.

I have a conundrum. As you probably know, Outlander has been made into a television series on Starz. It's about to kick off its second season. I'm wondering if I should advertise The Taker to Outlander fans. I've seen a lot of Outlander fans asking, "what should I read next?"  

On one hand, comparisons have been made between the two series by reviewers and readers alike. It's the combination of history and fantasy, I think. And while The Taker isn't time-travel, it creates the sense of it as the characters go back and forth in their own timelines.

On the other hand, fans of a series can be fiercely protective. They can see any approach to the series' audience as an attempt to poach and may want to prove their loyalty by driving off anyone seen as encroaching on their territory. I don't want to offend anyone. I only want to make potential readers aware of my books.

What do you think I should do? Should I try to approach Outlander fans or are the series too dissimilar? Is the Outlander TV series all about the men in kilts--in which case they likely won't see the similarities between the two series of novels? Do you have any suggestions from how I might connect with Outlander fans? Please comment below. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Alma do it. I mean what is the harm since there are some similarities I suppose but I know I have read many types of books around sorcerers and the like but a writer can always somehow differentiate their stories with a mark they leave. I am positive your books have that quality.

    While there could be fans that might feel aggressive toward an encroachment on the Outlander audience there could easily be a few who might be capable of accepting your books. Some might not like it but I am sure others could give your books a chance. They would actually be lucky to read your books. I know I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an Outlander fan. I must say that Diana is my favorite author. I also came across your series a couple of years ag and loved it. I wasn't looking for books similar to Outlander but just somehow came across yours. There are slight similarities between the two series and I think Outlander fans would enjoy yours as well. Great job and I look forward to reading more of your material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for writing. You captured it perfectly: similar but different. One thing I've noticed about the publishing business is it usually takes a blunt-instrument approach: if you like Outlander, let's pitch you more books with men-in-kilts. Which is okay but eventually it'll all seem the same, like too much of one flavor of ice cream. But chances are what really charmed you about Outlander aren't the kilts but it's more quixotic attributes, the lightning-in-a-bottle things that you can't produce through a formula. That's what I hope readers will find in the Taker books if they give them a try.

      Delete