Friday, November 7, 2014

This week in obsessions

Funny, last week's posts got quite a few more hits than the previous weeks. . . I wonder if it's because it had "IEEE" in the text? or big data analytics? If that's not your cup of tea, here is this week's recipe: Pumpkin Cheesecake (recipe from Food52, one of my new favorite food sites because I like to give edible gifts for the holidays).

Book of the week: Michel Faber wrote The Crimson Petal and the White, a historical novel set in Victorian England. It came out about the time I was in grad school and working in earnest on the book that would become The Taker. I had an assignment for class to interview an author, and after a reading at a bookstore that no longer exists in downtown DC, Michel and his wife Eva kindly agreed to be my guinea pigs. We went to Kramerbooks so he could sign stock and then we got some cake and sat in Dupont Circle and I interviewed him. His wife Eva stands out in my memory, not only because she was obviously so proud of him and so supportive, but because she was just a wonderful person and after we parted, there were actually many times I thought of Eva and wondered how she was (I, too, am the wife of an artist, though in my case, a musician). Faber's latest book, The Book of Strange New Things, just came out and he's saying that this is the last novel he will ever write because Eva passed away this past summer. Having met her and seen the two of them together, I can completely understand why.


  1. Too bad that's a pumpkin recipe! Maybe it could be adapted.

    1. Not a pumpkin fan? I've been making a different pumpkin cheesecake recipe for a while now, it tastes more like a spice cheesecake than pumpkin pie. If you don't like pumpkin, what do you have for dessert on Thanksgiving?