Friday, October 10, 2014

This week in obsessions

What's caught my eye this week:


What I'm reading this week: The Secret Place by Tana French. Not because I'm a fan of mysteries and police procedurals but because I'm a fan of hers. But I'm also reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke, the early-2000s fantasy classic. I started reading it about a year after it came out, didn't get very far for reasons I don't remember, and shelved it. Somehow managed not to give it away in the intervening years. Picked it off the shelf during a night of insomnia and enjoyed it so much that it kept me up later than I wanted. Also, the awesome Keith Donohue's latest novel, The Boy Who Drew Monsters, is just out and is getting rave reviews. Just thought you might like to know.







What we're eating: Pasta with eggplant and tomatoes sauteed until meltingly tender. Yes, please. Get your fall veggies at your local farmers market. Recipe from NY Times.

What is he? 50 Shades of Grey
Not too early to start thinking of costumes for Halloween. Don't forget Pinterest. Clever ones, funny ones too.

Don't we all dream of having a cozy nook in our homes, someplace we can escape to? Funny how often a nook includes books. Some great nooks in this article in Houzz.








Where I'm at: I'm at Capclave, the Washington DC-area science fiction and fantasy convention this weekend (October 10-12). Capclave is focused on literature, not media, so if you like sci fi/fantasy books you should be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment