Tuesday, January 21, 2014

From the book launch on January 14

Sometime before the book launch party at One More Page Books, I got it into my head that I should videotape it and put excerpts up on YouTube. Not because I thought there was a great hungering out for videos of me talking about my books--far from it. But I knew I wouldn't be doing many events for the release (it's a bad time of year for travel), and there were readers who asked when I'd be coming to their area, and so I thought they might be interested in seeing a clip from an event and see that they weren't missing much (haha).

I asked my husband to tape it and we decided we might as well do it on his iPhone. Since it was first and foremost in our minds that this wasn't going to be a big deal, we didn't do much. Got a stand so the picture wouldn't be wobbly. (If you're looking for some good straightforward advice on taking movies on your cell phone, this NY Times video is great.)

All that was the easy part. The hard part was downloading from the phone to the right computer, getting a video-editing package to work, etc. Long story short: I finally managed to snip out three fairly short videos from that evening.

The lovely woman to my left is Jenn Lawrence, from Jenn's Bookshelves. She is a friend and prominent Northern Virginia book blogger and she graciously agreed to interview me for the event.

In the first video, we talk about the inspiration for The Taker:





This one is about living in "Colonial Ground Zero" and researching the past:





And this last one is about the characters in the novels, especially the one you love to hate:




I hope you enjoy them.

3 comments:

  1. OMG thank you for sharing!! LOVED it Love Adair alway have :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I cannot see the videos...the squares are all black! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I wonder if it has to do with the browser you're using, or if you're accessing it from a mobile device? I tried getting to it from a couple different browsers and it's black for an instant but then the picture comes up. If you go to YouTube and search on 'almakatsu' it should bring you to my 'channel'. Hope that helps!

      Delete