Saturday, December 28, 2013

Books to Read in 2014


 Books for your nightstand: We're all readers. What do readers like better than to hear about new books? If you like my writing, then chances are we have similar tastes in literature, and so you might be interested in the novels I'm looking forward to reading in 2014:
Hild by Nicola Griffin: Described by io9, one of my favorite websites: "Nicola's effortlessly immersive descriptions of life in the Middle Ages will enthrall you, but so will her depiction of a woman trying to survive as the Seer in a society that believes in prophecy and conflicting gods. A must-read for anybody who writes (or reads) historical fantasy."

Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye: This is the first book in a series. I've heard wonderful things about this historical mystery sets in the turn-of-the-century New York. Gangs of New York mets Caleb Carr's The Alienist is how it's been described. 
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker: Everyone is raving about this tale of a jinni who teams up with a golem in 1899 New York City.

Something More Than Night by Ian Tregellis: Described as a Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler inspired murder mystery set in Thomas Aquinas's vision of Heaven. It's a noir detective story starring fallen angels, the heavenly choir, nightclub stigmatics, dirty priests, swell dames, femmes fatales, and the Voice of God and it's been praised as absolutely brilliant.
The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch: The main character in Lynch's novel (third in a series) has been described as a charming bastard, and you know I find well done scoundrels irresistible. I'll be starting with the first book in the series, though, The Lies of Locke Lamora, and save this one to the end.
Now it's your turn: what books are you looking forward to reading in 2014?

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you have some good reading ahead of you! I'll be reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be hard to pick which one to start next!
      I hope you enjoy the Descent. I am curious to see what you think of it.

      Delete
  2. I'm a quarter of the way through Hild, and it's tough going. I have a couple of the same books as you do on my to-read list. I think you'll like the Scott Lynch books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for the heads up on Hild. Maybe I'll put the Lynch up first on the list. Any suggestions for other books I should check out?

      Delete
  3. Just downloaded The Descent to my Kindle to start reading tonight, I fear I should wait until Friday night, since I can't ever put your books down. Thank you for the additional titles, & I hope to hear of your next series soon, wink, wink!! Jennifer Murray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it, Jennifer--please let me know what you think of the ending!

      Delete
    2. Alma: I just finished last night. Without giving away any spoilers, what an incredible way to end the series. I had some ideas of how I thought you might "close the chapter" but I never dreamed it would be like this. Thank you so much for this wonderful series and I hope to get to enjoy more of your work in the future. I will so miss Adair and Lanore though :( Jennifer Murray

      Delete
    3. I love surprising people. Hopefully in a good way :-)

      Delete
  4. I'll definitely read The Golem and the Jinni, and I hope to get to Hild, Gods of Gotham and Something More than Night. On my TBR list are modernist classics Swann's Way and The Third Policeman; books by favorite authors (Freedom -- Franzen, Telegraph Avenue -- Chabon, and Terrorist -- Updike ); and, when they come out, The Magician's Land (Lev Grossman), Love and Treasure (Ayelet Waldman) and Book of Life (Deborah Harkness).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, while I'm a big Chabon fan I haven't read Telegraph Avenue yet--did you like it? Have Freedom on deck to read soon. Thanks for writing.

      Delete