Thursday, October 17, 2013

From The Descent: Death Plays Us Cruelly at the End

From THE DESCENT:

      Luke licked his lips. He seemed to be looking past me, as though he could no longer focus his eyes. "Lanny, I was wondering, now that I'm dying...if you had the power, would you make me like you?"
      I hated that question. It wasn't the kind of thing I would have expected from Luke, either. He'd always seemed so sensible, so down to earth. I tried not to miss a beat, however. "But I don't have the power. You know that..."
      He was impatient with my evasiveness. "That's not what I asked. I asked if you would.... You know who could make me like you. Adair. He'd do it if you asked."
      This time, I paused. Was Luke asking me to track down Adair and beg him to give me the elixir of life? It made me see Luke in a completely different light. Not only had I never suspected that he cared about living forever, I thought he would have sooner chosen death then ask me to go on his behalf to this man who frightened me so much. But death plays us cruelly at the end. "Is that what you want?" I asked, waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment