Thursday, August 1, 2013

Finally, good news about Facebook advertising, irresistible emails & more

What digital (in all forms) means to literary agents; FINALLY a good news story on Facebook advertising; make your emails irresistible; thinking about blog platforms; we don't like social media but we're not going to stop using it; and more in this week's social media news for writers.

From transforming the slush pile to enabling its authors to connect more easily with readers, literary agent Scott Hoffman talks about what digital means to literary agents in Business Insider (tip o'the hat to Karen Dionne for pointing this article out).

Facebook, advertising and you: Yes, we've talked about the pressure Facebook is under to monetize since going public, and how aggressively they've marketed their advertising. Apparently they're doing something right because they posted some modest gains lately. 

You may recall I posted recently that advertisers were seeing click-through rates 50 times better for ads in the news feed versus those in the right hand column. (Well, I thought I did but I can't find it. So here's a link to the original article). Anyway, with CTR like that I wanted to try it out for myself. So I ran some in-the-newsfeed Facebook ads for the price drop on Kindle for one of my novels and I am happy to report a ten-fold increase in the CTR from previous ads for the same book. Of course, there's no way for me to know how many of those clicks converted to sales, so it's hard to say it generated sales, but it certainly generated attention.

Make your emails irresistible: We all have to ask people for something through an email: review my book (please); come see me at a live event (please). The list goes on and on. I'm sure we all could advice on how to write an effective email? How about if that advice came from Harvard Business Review?

Now that your emails are irresistible, you might want to read this article on how Gmail's new tabs are affecting whether people open your newsletters and other promotional emails (Clif notes version: fewer people are opening them, and here's why).

Are you in the market for a blog platform? Have you considered WordPress? Apparently 19 percent of all websites are using WordPress. Undoubtedly you've already heard that the cool kids use it (those who are too cool have gone to Tumblr). Me, I was doubtful (Blogger is so easy!) until I had was made administrator of my office's blog, which runs on--you guessed it--WordPress. Now that I'm used to it, I love it. And WordPress is not just for blogs; their templates are extremely versatile. I daresay any website could run very well on WordPress. 

And speaking of Tumblr: here's an article on how to create a meaningful campaign on Tumblr

We don't like social media, but we're going to keep using it anyway: Digital Trends reports the findings of a consumer survey that says we're unsatisfied with our experiences with most social media sites but that we expect we'll keep using them--because what's the alternative? Of the major social media sites, while most of them lost users in 2012-2013, Pinterest showed modest gains. Google Plus lost 9 percent of users, according to this study, anyway. 

Bloomberg gives a hard-nosed look at the ouster of William Lynch as CEO of Barnes & Noble.

Twitter is making it easier to report those abusive tweets (take that, bullies).

Looking good: Video has been on my mind after taping myself for a SIBA promotion (read a paragraph from your book!). It's harder than it looks, if you haven't experienced this for yourself. If nothing else, you have to have the stomach to repeat those muffed takes over and over... Anyway, if you're going to be on camera anytime soon, take a look at these tips on Mashable.  

4 comments:

  1. Alma, this article is a true KEEPER! Excellent information and resources. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denny. I'm so glad it's useful. And thanks for giving it a shout on Twitter.

      Delete
  2. You're always so informative, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I really like your post.
    Thanks for sharing such great information. It is very informative and provides knowledge offacebook advertising

    ReplyDelete