Saturday, December 29, 2012

What Does 2012 Mean To You?


 Oh, 2012 has been a bad year. I’m not sorry to see it go. Maybe I’m not being fair—a lot of new things happened to me in 2012, lots of great book business, got to meet lots of wonderful people. I also went back to having a day job at a great place getting to continue working in my chosen field, and that’s a blessing. But it was all overshadowed at the end with a really bad thing that happened that I can’t talk about publicly (sorry, legal issues and all) so if I’ve seemed on Twitter or Facebook that I’ve been in a melancholy mood, that’s why. Sh*t happens and we deal with it and, hopefully, move on.

I wanted to do a timeline of the highlights of 2012 using a nifty tool but time constraints force me to improvise: memory, my 2012 datebook and a Word document. I encourage you (challenge you?) to do the same thing and give 2012 a good summing up before sending it into the history books. Hey, we survived the Mayan apocalypse, so it couldn’t be all bad.
  • I did 29 book events in 2012, starting with meeting a DC book club in someone’s living room on January 10th up to appearing at Lady Jane’s Salon in NYC on December 3rd. Looking back over all those events, I have to say each one was special so even if I don’t call them out by name here, thanks to all the organizers for having me (Southern Kentucky, where I got to hang out with JT Ellison, Will Lavender, and Silas House! Hampton Roads, where I got to meet so many fine writers and catch up with Rick Mofina!)
  • I did my first RT Booklovers Convention in 2012! I liked it so much I’ll be back in 2013 (and you can join me. Read all about it here.) I also presented at Thrillerfest, after attending the International Thriller Writer’s annual conference many times as an unpublished writer. It was quite a, er, thrill.
  • I also attended my first RWA annual conference. As Kristina McMorris promised me, it was really quite an experience! Thanks to Rebecca Coleman for presenting with me, and to my publisher Gallery for providing copies of The Taker in all the goody bags!!
  • In February, I went to Milan for the launch of The Taker in Italy! That was an experience never to be duplicated. Three days of interviews with the Italian press, photographers, TV, radio, wow. A dream come true. Thank you, Longanesi, my Italian publishers.
  • In April, I signed at Nora RobertsTurn The Page bookstore in Boonsboro, Maryland and I got a glimpse at what it was like to be a really big-name author as Nora was publishing her 200th book. Thanks to Nora and everyone at TTP for letting me be a part of that amazing time. And I met the amazing Alethea Kontis here—bonus—and Leigh Duncan, who might be one of the nicest people I’ve met yet in publishing.
  • My second book, The Reckoning, was published on June 19th. It would go on to be nominated for the Reviewer’s Choice award at RT Book Reviews for best paranormal romance and was a semifinalist at Goodreads for best paranormal fantasy in 2012.
  • In November I got to attend my first private writer’s retreat and hang out with a dozen wonderful women who happen to be amazing writers. I think part of the deal is that we’re not supposed to name everyone who was there, but I think I can say thanks to Melissa Marr for bringing me into this secret society and for introducing me to the amazing Holly Black. If you follow me on Twitter, you already know that I have declared that I have a girl crush on her.

I couldn’t do anything of this without the help of good friends, writers like Rebecca, Allison Leotta, Ellen Crosby and all the DC area writers (we are a supportive group); Washington Romance Writers, MWA Mid-Atlantic chapter, Sisters in Crime Chesapeake chapter, the Historical Novel Society DC area chapter and all the local writing groups; and of course thanks to Eileen, Terry, Katie, Lelia and everyone at One More Page bookstore in Arlington, Virginia who are a blessing not only to me but to every writer in Northern Virginia.

I guess I have more to be happy and thankful for than I remembered! Enough about me: what about you? What happened to you in 2012? What will you never forget, what do you hope to never remember? Before time swallows all these memories, what would you like to declare to the universe?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a productive year....I hope 2013 is even better!

    ReplyDelete