Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Week Until Pub Day

It’s a week out from pub day for THE RECKONING. What do you think authors do the week before their books launch?

Last year, when my debut book was published, the week before pub day I did things like get a mani-pedi. Like anyone cared what my toenails looked like. Now, I’m like a mother looking back on her first pregnancy: what was I thinking! What a silly girl I was, how clueless!

The week before pub day is a horrible time. Too late to do anything that will improve your book’s chances out of the gates—those plans had to be made months ago (and luckily, my publisher and publicist have things under control or I would be slitting my throat right now)—but still, you feel like you should be doing something. A thousand ideas bloom, wither and die every day as you realize you don’t have the time or energy to put any of them in motion. You wander through your house restlessly looking for little chores to do so for one fleeting second you can feel productive.

If you’re like me, this is when you start thinking about what you are actually going to wear to those events you booked weeks and weeks ago. Sure, it’ll be something black, but which black thing, exactly? You try to put together combinations of clothes in your head and realize that you don’t have the right shoes or jewelry to go with any of it. I had dinner with a friend last night and she was wearing the perfect outfit and it was all I could do not to rip the clothes off her back. Unfortunately, it had been on sale a season ago and so there was no way to get my hands on it, not for love or money.

When I wailed on Twitter this morning about the stress of the impending release, one author tweeted back that, stressed out by her debut, she almost chopped off all her hair. Little did she know that I almost did that last week. Right before you go on tour, short hair suddenly seems like a good idea. You imagine it’ll be so much easier to deal with, what with these public appearances. No. No, it will not. You’ll be standing in front of a mirror in a blind panic, not recognizing the person staring back at you.

To make things doubly worse, the deadline for the third book, THE DESCENT, comes shortly after THE RECKONING’s release. I had nothing to do with the timing. The on-sale date for book two hadn’t been set when the deadline for book three was decided. I’m afraid I must deduce from this that my publisher is trying to kill me. Or at the least, drive me insane. Because I literally feel every minute like I’m being torn in two. Half of me wants to buckle down and make my deadline, and the other half of me feels she should be doing something for the book release (write another guest blog post! Tweet! Something! Anything!)

Enough about me. What about you? Are you an author? What’s the strangest thing you felt compelled to do before your book went on sale? What did you do that worked out great? What would you never do again?


  1. I'm sure The Reckoning will be a hit! I wouldn't worry too much.

  2. You crack me up, Alma. My debut novel doesn't release until next year and I'm like this every day. Too much caffeine, maybe? :) I can't wait until my pre-ordered copy of THE RECKONING arrives on my front porch. I'm sure countless others are feeling the same way. Looking forward to meeting you at ThrillerFest in July!