Thursday, April 12, 2012

RT Booklovers Convention 2012, Day One

I'm at RT Booklovers Convention, taking place this week in Chicago. Yesterday the first day and already I'm overwhelmed. It is HUGE. But I can tell already it's a good one. Everyone here is a fan of reading and books. The excitement in the air is palpable (pardon the cliche but it's apt). In addition to tons of readers, booksellers and librarians, there are authors everywhere.

In addition to getting settled in and trying to get my bearings, I was able to sit in on a few panels. The photo above is of the "Ain't Yo Momma's Vampires--How to Reinvent What's Been Overdone." Angela Knight moderated the panel, which included Rebecca York, Molly Harper, Darynda Jones and Virna dePaul. Some of you know that Rebecca York is a friend (and mentor) and she shared a lot of solid writing advice, as always, along with the other panelists. Really, every one of the panelists had great advice and each had different approaches to how they write and how they think of storytelling. I am going to give a particular shout-out to Molly Harper, who is whip-smart and funny. Funny, funny. See this woman speak live if you get the chance.

The second panel I got to see was on marketing, with book reviewers and hosts of popular websites telling authors the rules of the road. I missed the name of the first woman on the panel (but I will track it down and post it later!) but l-r it's: the mystery woman, Joyce Lamb from USA Today's Happily-Ever-After column; Sara Reyes, publisher of Fresh Fiction; Natalie Luhrs and Kathe Robin from RT; and Sarah Wendell of Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. Joyce wrote about The Taker recently and so I was thrilled to have the chance to meet her in person (she is wonderful, btw). A lot of smarts on one panel, there and they thoroughly explained the review process at each of their operations.

I was so wiped out after dinner with Rebecca and her friends, Angela Knight and Nancy Holder, that I skipped the parties and crawled into bed early. No Ellora's Cave party for me!

Okay, it's 7 AM and I need to get ready for my group's, the Mystery Chix, fan breakfast. I will try to remember to take a few pictures to let you know what it's like. Check back for a post of today's excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment