Saturday, March 24, 2012

Barnes & Nobles recommends The Taker for Fifty Shades of Grey readers


I'll be blunt: I wouldn't mind if readers of Fifty Shades of Grey, the erotica novel that's causing a sensation all over the literary world, took a look at The Taker. Not that my novel is erotica. But it does have something of the dynamic that women are drawn to in Fifty Shades. From what I've heard, women are as drawn to the novel for its male lead, Christian Grey, as they are to the sex. And a couple readers told me that they saw similarities between Christian Grey and Adair, the villain in The Taker--which is what got me and the team surrounding the Taker Trilogy thinking about comparisons.

And apparently it's not just us: the fine folks at Barnes and Noble's blogs have brought it up, too. Melanie Murray, the moderator for the romance forum, had this to say: "I've been inundated with "books for people who loved Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1) " Some have looked promising, some have seemed less than that. But the one that has really caught me up is Alma Katsu's The Taker..."
We also got a nice mention in the Barnes and Nobles' romance blog, Heart-to-Heart, in a post on "If you like Fifty Shades of Grey...".

I know, I know...some of you are sick and tired of hearing about this book. But it is a bonafide phenomena, and that says something about the state of reading in America. I spoke to booksellers today, and they told me that people were buying five or six copies at a time for their friends who were too embarrassed to be seen buying the book in their neighborhood store. Women want to read it. When was the last time you saw anyone buy five or six copies of one book? Let me tell you, it doesn't happen often. It is tough to sell books today. As one bookseller said to me, it's hard enough to get someone to buy one copy of a really popular book.

So Fifty Shades is good for the book industry. Hats off to E.L. James and for what she's doing both for women readers and, hopefully, her fellow women writers.

3 comments:

  1. Kristen Stewart has finally responded to rumors that she's a favorite to play The Movie Fifty Shades Of Grey.I m excited for the 50 Shades Of Grey Movie.i cant wait for releasing date
    50 Shades Of Grey Movie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the wonderful book! I finished it a few days ago and cannot get it out of my head. It is pure magic. It was everything I hoped it would be and much more. ...
    Dakota Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, thank you for writing! I'm so happy that you enjoyed The Taker. Please tell your friends ;-)

      Delete