Sunday, January 8, 2012

You Tell Me: The Perfect Writer's Bag

Writing is not the only thing occupying my days lately. I find that I must live several months in advance, thinking ahead to the next release, whether it’s another edition of The Taker, or the next new book. With a release comes the question of promotion: what kind of events are appropriate? Store events, book festivals, an appearance at a writer’s conference? Promotional material must be designed, approved and sent to the printer.

One detail is nagging at me. It’s a subject near and dear to most women’s hearts. I need to find a new tote bag to take with me on the road this year.

Ah, the eternal quest for the perfect bag. As much as we know there is no such thing—any more than there is a perfect haircut—still we persist in the search. We have our criteria. This year, mine are: big enough to carry my laptop in a pinch yet not so big that it visually overpowers a short person; holds items securely yet is not so restrictive that I have to unlock three deadbolts to get to my cell phone; is of a style that can go from an event in Milan to a writer’s conference (where the average ensemble is a polo shirt over jeans.)

In other words, what I want is a bundle of contradictions. No wonder I have yet to find what I want.

Which is why I’m asking for your suggestions. Do you have the perfect writer’s bag? If so, please help a sister out. Send me a picture, or a link, and tell me why you love it.

Next up: finding the perfect pair of shoes.


  1. I like The Strand bags which have a zip and feel quite strong. I would worry about protecting your laptop though, does this need foamy protection or is it already in a holder?

    I have a cute bag that I bought in the UK for a 15 inch laptop which is more like a handbag but I love it :)

  2. I think the strand bags are quite stylish too, here's the link:

    Failing that, I suppose you could look on

  3. I'd never heard of Strand. Is this a UK thing? Of course the one that catches my eye is out of stock...

  4. I have this one:

    And I love it!

  5. I love the tote I got from etsy so much that I had the designer make a custom one for my mother! You can get one with or without a zip, and it's very sturdy. I got a black one with skulls and hearts, which is subtle enough for work as you can't tell they are skulls from a distance. *L*

    Here's the link to the tote designs:

  6. Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?

    Noosa Beach Weddings