Monday, November 21, 2011

NaNoWriMo #21: Ruminating on Your Writing

If you’ve been faithfully participating in NaNoWriMo, you’re probably thinking about your novel all the time: while you’re driving the car or loading laundry into the washing machine. Good! You’ve now incorporated an important writing technique into your subconscious. Today, Elizabeth Miles, author of the hot hot hot YA novel Fury is going to tell you how to tap into your subconscious and extract the gems. In addition to writing fiction, Elizabeth is a reporter for the Portland Phoenix. You can find out more about her Fury series here, and follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

“When I'm required to write a lot in a short period of time, or when I'm on a tight deadline, or when I'm faced with a plot dilemma that I need to sort out before I can move forward with my story, I try to ruminate on my writing even when I'm not at my desk. Before I fall asleep, when I'm walking to work, in the shower, or in my car, I'll set the scene in my head and turn it over in a kind of meditative way. It's almost like the scene is a rock and I try to make my thoughts the stream, running over and around it, finding new crevices, new ways to maneuver around it. I don't force it. If certain words or ideas come to me, I find a way to write them down (this leads to lots of scribbled notes on the backs of envelopes and receipts :). When I do this, I come back to my computer with a new, slightly fresher perspective, sometimes some new words or solutions, and at the very least, more time thinking about my story, which can never hurt.”

No comments:

Post a Comment