Thursday, November 17, 2011

NaNoWriMo #17: Permission to Take a Breather



Today’s tip is from Jennifer Haupt, writing for magazines and author of books of non-fiction and fiction. She writes a blog, One True Thing, for Psychology Today, and is one of the bloggers at the reading website, Reader Unboxed, and is the author of the upcoming book, I'll Stand By You: Changing the World, One Child at a Time (Dutton, 2012). What I find amazing about Jennifer is her attitude. She defines herself: “I’m fascinated by how people define, discover, and pursue something more. I write about all aspects of passion—from travel and food, to putting more heart in your home, to relationships and parenting, to the many different ways we each approach the quest to become part of something larger than our own lives. It's all about making meaningful connections.” She has a profound interest in other people in a no-judging way that, to me, is intensely spiritual. So when Jennifer speaks, I listen.

“STOP Writing! Don't be afraid to stop the madness for a day or two and evaluate what you've actually put down on paper. I know the idea is to just write your brains out, but sometimes taking a breather and letting the manuscript simmer takes greater discipline and is actually a great development tool for your story.”

No comments:

Post a Comment